My Active Lifestyle

Hello and welcome to this blog post. This will be a blog post that I will be updating throughout the year on certain activities we will be doing in Physical Education. In this blog post for each activity, I will talk about what level of participation I was at and reasons why and what other factors influenced my participation. This is an achievement standard worth 5 credits and it is 1.1 My Active Lifestyle. Please give me feedback on what else I could add, I would greatly appreciate it!

13 March 2023

Resource B: Suggested model for portfolio

Date: 13 March 2023 Activity: Athletics

My level of effort and engagement today (circle one grade below)

Not Achieved Achieved Merit Excellence
Why have you placed yourself at this level? Give supporting evidence. (Refer to the criteria from Resource A.)

Achieved Levels

I was organised and prepared for activities by always bringing my PE gear. I was setting up the equipment I needed for the activity such as bringing the blocks for sprints or setting up the high jump equipment in the gym.

I demonstrated the skills related to the activity by learning and practising them in 100m sprints and high jump. A skill I had learnt from sprints was to practice lifting my hip flexors high so I could glide faster.

I was always on task and ready to learn, whenever there were people I was talking to I would be doing the task while talking to them and not letting a conversation get in the way of my improvement. I went through a few YouTube videos to learn specific techniques and proceeded to do the task at hand.

I was trying so hard to improve my level of performance by writing the session logs which described how I did in a certain session. From that knowledge, I was evaluating what I needed to do to improve my level of performance. I was looking at what I did wrong for that session and how I could improve on it.

I was always ready to engage in the practical environment after knowing what I needed to do to perform well in athletic events after learning from YouTube videos or my teacher. I was giving the sprinting and high jump the best as I could.

My session logs have proven that I know how to reflect on the skills I have learnt and how to improve them. For the Fosbury Flop, there were many aspects I needed to learn such as my movement, stepping, run-up and jump. Each time I learnt or practice one of those aspects I reflected on what I did and what I needed to do next.

I was practising over and over again until I got the techniques correctly, especially for my high jump, I needed to work out how I could run and step to get the best outcome. From when I started the session versus after I practised the session I came out a different person.

Merit Levels

I was motivated to improve and always looking for new opportunities that could help me improve in athletic events. I was searching the internet for hours on different techniques that could help me improve in sprints and the high jump. Especially the videos on athletes’ performance motivated me to get better and become like them.

There were times when I needed to think outside the box. Whenever the other people I was sharing the high jump with raised it too high for me to jump I took initiative and saw there was another mat so I began jumping on that mat because it was about the movement of the flop that session rather than trying to jump higher.

I tried my best to work hard to achieve what I needed to learn from that activity. An example of this is my sprints when I was exercising my hip flexors. Even when my legs were hurting I kept pushing on for the whole session because I knew there would always be an outcome for my actions.

I have overall enjoyed this whole athletic events training because I love learning new things and trying to improve from them. When I jumped the high jump bar doing an almost correct Fosbury Flop I was filled with excitement and ran across the gym with a big smile on my face!

I have always sought ways to improve. I’ve already listed numerous ways above such as watching YouTube videos or asking my teacher. I have also taken the chance to ask some of my friends for advice on sprinting.

And there is the only thing that matters out of all of this I have done my best. Looking at how I did I didn’t expect myself to exceed this far in learning and developing new skills. Doing my best means I did my best to achieve the highest possible theory and practical work in my capabilities.

Excellence Levels

I was always fully engaging myself in the learning environment. Everything I did that didn’t involve the correct technique was with a purpose for example doing the scissor kick was for me to compare myself with the Fosbury Flop.

Highlight any factors that influenced your participation today and add any others that were important to you for this activity.
Well-being

Challenge

Fun/enjoyment

Sense of achievement

Pushes body to physical or mental limit

Can go at own pace

Social factors (able to do with friends; choose own group)

Aesthetic appeal

Environmental appreciation

Accessibility

Cost

Equipment needed

Technology

Other

Fitness Level

Determination

Explain how and why these factors influenced your participation.

Since the start of this year, I’ve been staying up past 12 am doing school work more than I’ve ever stayed passed 12 am in my life. This term has really been a term to help me find balance in sleep and school work. Because of this, I may be tired and out of energy when I turn up for PE. I have never let this stop me from performing the best that I can.

The challenge was insane! I’m going to combine this with another factor which is my fitness level. My fitness level is average for a general person so trying to put myself into positions that athletes would be it is harder than it would be for someone who plays sports and trains themselves every day.

I have obviously enjoyed this grind because I like seeing myself improve as a person. I enjoy it because I always feel a huge sense of achievement after each session. When I jump over the high jump bar doing the correct technique I feel astonished and proud of myself.

I’m strategically pushing my body to the limits. I’m trying to push as much as I can but still have the energy to continue pushing for the whole session. An example of this is in sprints. Whenever I feel tired I stand still and practice my techniques rather than running the whole session and getting tired. And I get cold really easily so I start getting cold but I still keep moving on, as well as being tired from lack of sleep.

Considering all of these, I can think about how to do things properly and go at my own pace to get the best outcome possible. I am making sure I’m not setting too many goals that are unreachable in one session but setting enough goals that can be achievable and improved on to an extent.

I feel much more relaxed when I practice with friends and annoyed at the same time. Obviously, I want the best in their practice but most of the time people raise the high jump bar to the maximum level possible and focus on going over the bar rather than practising. This causes me to have to find an alternative way to practice my techniques.

Using the mats in the gym I was able to find an accessible way to practice the high jump without fear of knocking the bar. This was a great way to practice your stepping, run-up, jump and form when you do the high jump.

Equipment set up for the high jump was scarce. We only set up one high jump set so all the people doing the high jump had to share the high jump set. I wasn’t sure if we were allowed to set up a second one or not. I should have asked the teacher but I felt like I was asking too many questions at that point in time and I didn’t want to annoy the teacher too much.

I was always determined to achieve my goals. I wanted the outcome so badly. I wanted to be like those athletes and that is what pushed me to strive further.

Bearing in mind the criteria in Resource A, how could you improve your participation?

Motivate other people, I know from the knowledge I have gained I should share people my knowledge. I have suggested a few things towards people but I didn’t really push the idea in front of their faces because I didn’t know what part they were training for in their athletic events. I need to make sure I’m developing as much success for myself as well as other people. I also need to get out of my comfort zone I am still trying to escape the turtle shell for fear of getting hurt or getting mud on myself.

I have decided to grade this as a Merit because of how active I was in the athletic activities and how keen I was to learn and improve.

Date: 24 March 2023 Activity: Korfball

Not Achieved Achieved Merit Excellence

Achieved Levels

I arrived at PE on time and with a change of gear for every session during the Korfball segment.

I was catching the ball and passing it to people and running around to stand in a good spot to receive the ball. I made some effort to call out people’s names but it wasn’t consistent.

I was moving around a lot and not staying in one area and making sure that I could receive the ball at a spot where no one was standing at.

I was listening to the teacher’s feedback for the whole class and tried my best to do what the teacher said. An example of this would be moving around and not cramming in one spot with the rest of the class.

I was making sure I was covering spots for my team that no one else had covered. I wasn’t yelling for the ball, but I was there when my team needed me to be there to catch the ball.

Shooting hoops were a hard thing to do so when the teacher gave us time to practice shooting, I was making sure I got to practice shooting and trying different amount of force to push the ball in the air.

Merit Levels

I showed interest and enjoyment in Korfball because I was intrigued by how the rules and the game worked. This was a learning process that I enjoyed.

I tried my best to contribute overall to the team by being there when there at times when no one else was there and improving myself by listening to the teacher’s advice on how to position myself better.

Well-being

Challenge

Fun/enjoyment

Sense of achievement

Pushes body to physical or mental limit

Can go at own pace

Aesthetic appeal

Environmental appreciation

Accessibility

Cost

Equipment needed

Technology

Other

Peer Pressures

Communication

What I found challenging about Korfball were the rules. I was always confused about when you were allowed to shoot or when you weren’t. I always saw people shoot when the defender’s hands were up. So whenever someone told me to shoot and I saw a defender in front of me I always passed the ball not knowing if I was allowed to shoot or not.

The exercises were really fun to do. Getting put under pressure with punishment to compete with other mini-teams made you want to win more and it made it feel like a competition rather than a PE session. I enjoyed the exercises more because it was helping me learn the foundations of the game.

Whoever you were in a team with would increase your chances of getting the ball passed to you to be more involved in the sport. Social status affects how likely someone will trust you to receive the ball. I have made sure I don’t have enemies in the class and tried to get on the good side of everyone.

This goes with another factor called peer pressure. My consciousness wanted to participate more but I don’t want to upset other people by missing the catch for the ball and getting blamed and losing social status which would cause people to trust me less with the ball and not pass it to me.

Directly communicating with a specific person that I don’t know really well is a scary thing to me. I have trouble shouting the names of people because I am embarrassed by getting their names wrong even though I know their names. I need to be able to communicate to be able to pass and receive the ball to help my team win.

To enhance my own performance I have to communicate better. I have to be able to yell my classmate’s name with confidence. This will enable me to receive the ball and pass the ball to people more often, overall improving my performance and participation in sports. 

I have decided to grade this as an achieved because this is me performing at my own level rather than trying to push further.

Please give me feedback on my grading and what I should change about it and how I could improve in my activities.